- Only authorized and trained
employees may operate power presses.
- Before using a power press,
make sure you are trained in all phases of its operation. This
includes an understanding of its capabilities, limitations,
controls, and hazards. (See your Supervisor)
- Thoroughly understand all
controls of the press and how to use them. This includes clear
instruction on safe operation of the press, from start-up
- Be familiar with the safety
guards and devices, and the correct use of this equipment. Never
purposely defeat these controls. They are there to protect the
- Be instructed in the location
of pinch points and how to avoid them.
- Be instructed in the correct
use of tools for removing jammed work, as well as the use of
brushes, swabs or oil, for lubricating dies and stock. Know
how to lock-out the press before beginning this work.
- Maintain a high level of
housekeeping around the equipment, including the storage of
parts, tools, dies, etc.
- Never operate the press
until it has been checked and tested several times prior to
production level operations.
- Report all problems or maintenance issues to the supervisor.